Once most or all permanent teeth have erupted into the mouth comprehensive treatment can commence, usually in the early teenage years. This will usually involve the use of braces on both upper and lower teeth to align them. As the jaws grow their position may be guided to ensure a proper bite and well aligned teeth.
Comprehensive treatment at this age allows:
- A more attractive smile and improved self confidence
- Potential for improved cleaning ability with well aligned teeth
- Coordination of the top and bottom jaws
- Improved bite with reduction of abnormal wear of tooth surfaces
- Reduced strain on the jaw joints and muscles of the face
Treatment length varies depending on the severity of problems that need to be fixed. However as a guide an average treatment time is 18-24 months for full comprehensive treatment.